Sunday, March 25, 2012

Best Protocol between linked servers

Hi All,
I'm setting up an environment with two SQLServer2005 instances (on two
different servers).
They're connected thru a linked server (server B to Server A).
Whenever I set the linked server up (in server B), it allows me to choose
between:
1) write the name of the linked server but it must be the same as the real
network name of the server
2) Allow me to choose several parameters but it doesn't use the SQLServer
protocol (faster than any other choice).
As the Stored Procedures (in server B) contains a reference to A's Tables
and it's kinda not possible to change all of them, how do I make the
communication between those server the best ?
Moreover, which protocol priority do I choose in the client network
configuration (Named Pipes is better than TCPIP) ?
Thanks
Igor.Hi Igor,
Take a look at this:
What to use Named Pipes or TCP/IP:
http://www.sqlcommunity.com/Default.aspx?grm2id=55&tabid=77
HTH
Thank you,
Saleem Hakani
HTTP://WWW.SQLCOMMUNITY.COM (World Wide SQL Server Community)
SQLTips, Scripts, Discussions, Blogs, Articles, Radio and a lot of SQL
Server Fun.
"Igor" wrote:
> Hi All,
> I'm setting up an environment with two SQLServer2005 instances (on two
> different servers).
> They're connected thru a linked server (server B to Server A).
> Whenever I set the linked server up (in server B), it allows me to choose
> between:
> 1) write the name of the linked server but it must be the same as the real
> network name of the server
> 2) Allow me to choose several parameters but it doesn't use the SQLServer
> protocol (faster than any other choice).
> As the Stored Procedures (in server B) contains a reference to A's Tables
> and it's kinda not possible to change all of them, how do I make the
> communication between those server the best ?
> Moreover, which protocol priority do I choose in the client network
> configuration (Named Pipes is better than TCPIP) ?
> Thanks
> Igor.

No comments:

Post a Comment