Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Best SSIS scripting tome?

Is The Rational Guide to Scripting SQL Server 2005 Integration Services Beta Preview by Donald Farmer the best way to learn how to use scripting in SSIS as of late 2006? I'm not a .NET developer, although I come from a Java and C++ background.

I already own Professional SQL Server 2005 Integration Server, but that one doesn't cover scripting so much.

Thanks in advance.

Donald is a frequent poster on this site. However, this question might be hard for him (and me) to answer because of conflict of interest issues.

I work with Donald and I can assure you that he is quite knowledgeable in the uses, misuses and intricacies of SSIS.

As one of our primary points of contact with customers he also owns a wealth of experience in typical and interesting uses for scripting.

I hope this helps inform your decision.

|||

I've read that book.. It gives you a nice understanding of the ScriptTask and ScriptComponent ( http://msdn2.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/ms345171.aspx ) and gives you some tips and advices throughout the book. It covers input/ output variables and how to access them in the ScriptTask etc... The book has some practical realworld scenarios at the end.

However the real power of SSIS is hidden in the CustomComponent, but that's not even mentioned - well atleast imho (it's a lot easier to debug CustomComponents contra ScriptComponent which are nearly impossible)

Overall I was very happy with the chapters, the writing is clear and easy to understand. And if you understand Java it should be easy to get started with.

No comments:

Post a Comment