Sunday, March 25, 2012

Best Protocol?

What is the best protocol (Named Pipes, TCP/IP or VIA) to use when connecting to a SQL Server 2005 on:

a) LAN (100MBps+)

b) VPN (via Internet)

c) Internet

And why?

The answer you're looking for is here.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187892.aspx|||

I do not believe the article about choosing a connection type to the server answers the question.

In my opinion it is ovbious that the LAN is the best just because of the TCP/IP connection method being able to take advantage of low overhead, hi bandwidth connections.

VPN is guaranteed to be slower than the LAN because the protocol is sitting on top of TCP/IP and will inherently add more overhead.

As far as Internet goes, I am not sure what the difference b/w LAN and Internet is going to be as far as which protocol to use.

Hope this helps.

|||

oj (MVP): Your comment was very helpfull, thank you. I had trouble finding this article myself.

Leifton: Yours was not so.

From what I understand, this is my conclusion (in a very cut-down nutshell).

VIA works best with VIA hardware, enough said.

Named Pipes works best over normal LAN.

TCP/IP works best over VPN and Internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment