Friday, February 24, 2012

Best approach for pushing records to MS Access

All,

I am new to DTS/SSIS and have a couple of questions about using it to solve a problem. We have an application running on SQL Server 2005 where status records are written to a status table. I need to be able to send those records over to a status table in a legacy application running on Access.

Originally, I thought about writing a custom c# stored proc and accessing Access from it and then someone pointed me to DTS/SSIS.

Is there a way to exectute the package based on a trigger event that a row was inserted or updated? If not and I take a scheduled approach (every 3 minutes, etc.) do I have to maintain a column for the records that get processed so they are not picked up again.

In general is using SSIS the approach to take? The overall business requirements are straight forward, but I am not sure if SSIS is overkill for this or not.

Thanks,

Steve

If I use an Execute SQL Task on the Control Flow, how do I use that resulting dataset as a Data Source on the Data Flow? I added a variable named 0 and type object, but I cannot figure out how to reference it on the Data Flow designer tab.

No comments:

Post a Comment