Saturday, February 25, 2012

Best database IDE around

Hi!
For some time I've been looking at alternative tools for query construction
that could replace the old good Query Analyzer.
I think QA is a great tool for its purpose but it has become outdated and
it's missing some of the features we have come to expect in modern IDEs, like
Intellisense support for database objects, a Visual Studio-like Server
Explorer, some kind of project management (meaning the possibility to
organize my SQL files in projects) and a good debugger for stored procedures,
among others.
I've used Visual Studio .NET for a while for debugging stored procedures and
I think it was good but what I'm looking for is a tool especially dedicated
to the purpose of building queries and (possibly) managing database objects.
I've looked at the new Management Studio for SQL Server 2005 and I think it's
the closest thing to that kind of tools but I'm also interested in free/open
source alternatives.
Does anyone know of such a tool? I'm interested in hearing about what other
database administrators/developers' favourite tools are.
Thanks in advance
/Enrico
You can have a look at foxySQL
http://www.casestudio.com/enu/databa...l_foxysql.aspx
It's free and has some features like intellisense, but to be honest
I've gone back to QA.
M
|||Enrico Campidoglio wrote:

> the closest thing to that kind of tools but I'm also interested in free/open
> source alternatives.
Visit http://www.sqlmanager.net - they offer both free and commercial
utilities for many popular RDBMS (MSSQL, IB/FB, MySQL,...)
Christmas Carol
|||If you are looking to use QA or SQL Server 2005 Management Studio, and
want to add SQL Intellisense to these tools then you might want to
check out PromptSQL: http://www.promptsql.com/
Its not free, but at US$25/user its not too expensive either. One
month evaluation download.

No comments:

Post a Comment