Friday, February 24, 2012

Best Config

I have a windows 2K server using SQL 2K. I am trying to
indentify what RAID configuation I should use for the
best performance. The application is an OLTP variety. I
have 5 physical disks. What would be the best set-up
(performance is more important than redundancy). If you
need any more info please ask. TIA.
MarcusAlthough the number of concurrent users is a potential issue.
Mirror the log, raid 10 the data ( but you don't have enough disk for that)
so
Mirror the log, raid 0 the data (stripe with stripe size of 64K)
opinions will vary... but avoiding raid 5, will give you a write improvement
( R5 has at least a 75% write penalty.)
But this will not give you data redundancy, but you can get up to the minute
recovery without loss ofdata...
Wayne Snyder, MCDBA, SQL Server MVP
Computer Education Services Corporation (CESC), Charlotte, NC
www.computeredservices.com
(Please respond only to the newsgroups.)
I support the Professional Association of SQL Server (PASS) and its
community of SQL Server professionals.
www.sqlpass.org
"Marcus" <marcus12@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:0d4a01c36268$9feebd10$a501280a@.phx.gbl...
> I have a windows 2K server using SQL 2K. I am trying to
> indentify what RAID configuation I should use for the
> best performance. The application is an OLTP variety. I
> have 5 physical disks. What would be the best set-up
> (performance is more important than redundancy). If you
> need any more info please ask. TIA.
> Marcus
>

No comments:

Post a Comment