Friday, February 24, 2012

Best approach with DTS

Let me see if I can explain this.

I have the need to pull data from multiple tables from a DB2 system via ODBC and update or insert as needed into tables in a SQL200 DB.

Step 1.
The data from the initial parent table will need to be limited to being a set number of days old, which I have in place and working.

Step 2
The next tables data needs to be limited from the data retrieved in step 1 (Id like to use the paprent table retrieved in step 1, that is in SQL now, rather than doing it on the DB2 side.

Step 3
The returned rows here, need to be limited to key values returned from step 2

Additional steps apply, but nearly all will be limited to the results of parent tables from the prior step.

What is the best approach to this? I really want to pull table A to SQL, and limit the next child set from Table A, that was pulled to SQL in the prior step.

I also need to do updates rather than dropping and creating the needed tables each time. Insert if no key exists, etc .etc.

What is the best approach?I think DTS is better in this regard.
You need to workout to re-arrange data based upon the requirement.
Once data is imported you can contro updations from SQL side using normal TSQL.|||I think I'm going to continue to limit the selection on the db2 side based on sub queries. Initially set it up to drop and create the tables each time, and after that's all done, modify to import into temp tables from dts and then use sql to update the existing tables from the temp tables, I think this is the approach I'm going to take.

I'm open to ideas for alternatives

No comments:

Post a Comment