Friday, February 24, 2012

Best approach to updating remote server?

I have a local production server, and a web server at a remote ISP connected
via a VPN. Both servers are running MS SQL 2000. I wish to do an extract
of data on the production server and update it to the web server daily. The
web server only gets a subset of the information on the production server.
I know I can't be the first to need this so what I am searching for is the
best way to accomplish this. Do I refresh the web server daily (about 500MB
of data)? Should I send each table with an indicator as to
Add/Change/Delete, and write a procedure to import? or is there just another
solution I am overlooking.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
TIA, MarkHi Mark.
A common approach to achieving this is to create a DTS package that
encapsulates the process, applies business rules to the data etc & then
schedule it to run from the local production server. I've done this with
various ISP hosted SQL databases with fairly good success.
Is your ISP hosted SQL Server dedicated or shared? If dedicated, many
options may open up to you that a shared server might have available.
HTH
Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
"Mark Butler" <mredhat_nospam@.yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:enU%238d8DEHA.2932@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> I have a local production server, and a web server at a remote ISP
connected
> via a VPN. Both servers are running MS SQL 2000. I wish to do an extract
> of data on the production server and update it to the web server daily.
The
> web server only gets a subset of the information on the production server.
> I know I can't be the first to need this so what I am searching for is the
> best way to accomplish this. Do I refresh the web server daily (about
500MB
> of data)? Should I send each table with an indicator as to
> Add/Change/Delete, and write a procedure to import? or is there just
another
> solution I am overlooking.
> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
> TIA, Mark
>

No comments:

Post a Comment